Why does this happen?
Like other parts of the body, the skin of the underarms can darken or become discolored. Underarm skin that’s darker than the rest of the skin can keep some people from dressing in sleeveless shirts, wearing bathing suits in public, or participating in sports.
Here are the common reasons for dark underarms:
- chemical irritants in deodorants and antiperspirants
- irritation and abrasion caused by shaving
- the accumulation of dead skin cells due to infrequent exfoliation
- friction caused by tight clothes
- hyperpigmentation, such as an increase in melanin
- acanthosis nigricans, a skin pigmentation disorder that’s associated with diabetes, obesity, and abnormal hormone levels
- smoking, which increases hyperpigmentation
What can you do?
If you want lighter underarms, here are the first steps you can take to address some basic causes of dark underarms.
- Change your deodorant or antiperspirant. Seek out a different brand. We can recommend you try Doers of London Deodorant Twenty-Four-Seven.
This vegan skincare brand Doers of London doesn’t mess about when it comes to creating targeted, fuss-free products. Scroll our edit, which includes cleansers, moisturizers, body washes, and more, all designed to help reboot your skin after the daily grind.
How to use:
- Apply to clean, dry underarms
- Do not use on broken skin
- If irritation occurs, rinse well with water and discontinue the use
2. Stop shaving. Try waxing or laser hair removal instead
3. Exfoliate. Use a gentle body scrub or exfoliant on the area two to three times per week. Since the underarm skin is thin and delicate, opt for an exfoliant that’s intended for sensitive skin. You can even use a face exfoliant. We can recommend you this Exfoliator from Dr. Botanicals.
This gentle yet effective Coffee Superfood Renewing Facial Exfoliator is packed with a cocktail of anti-inflammatory ingredients and skin-smoothing fruit extracts that buff away dead skin cells to reveal a soft, radiant complexion. Formulated with Fine Walnut Shell Power, this natural exfoliant will buff away dry, dead skin cells to leave you feeling soft, smooth and glowy. Refresh and protect your skin with the help of Coffee Oil which is high in antioxidants and fatty acids that nourish and work to protect the skin’s complexion. Deeply cleanses impurities from the pores and gently scrub to buff away dryness and reveal glowing skin.
4. Wear loose-fitting clothes
5. Try to quit smoking, if you do
Don’t forget to use your fab points for a discount of up to -100% and you can also add your purchase to your next Gay Pack to save on shipping costs.
Make the most of these tips and set your underarms free!